[PLUG-TALK] dog?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Mar 27 05:35:23 UTC 2018

>>>>> "Galen" == Galen Seitz <galens at seitzassoc.com> writes:

Galen> Sending this to the list for others amusement, but hoping John
Galen> can answer.  Hi,

Galen> My wife and I were having a conversation this evening and somehow
Galen> we ended up puzzling over the seemingly dramatic differences for
Galen> the word for dog.  Chien, perro, Hund, cane, cachorro, dog.  How
Galen> did six western languages with such close connections end up with
Galen> six very different words for dog?

I wonder if it is because the kinds of dogs were different from place to
place and somehow the breed inflected what became the generic name in
each culture?

That's a totally uneducated wild-assed guess, in case it isn't obvious.

--
Russell Senior
russell at personaltelco.net