[PLUG-TALK] USPS tracking codes: why?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Thu May 31 15:48:31 UTC 2018

On Thu, 31 May 2018 08:10:40 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>I wonder why the USPS issues tracking codes when they are not updated from
>the time the receiving PO records the event until the package is
>delivered. I've asked at the local PO and the only response is a shrug.
>
>Have you been able to track progress of a USPS package while in transit?

I do it all the time. But the usefulness depends on the way it was
shipped. If the shipper mailed it from a post office with tracking and
e-mails the code to me then I can go to USPS.com and track the item.
The USPS web site will give me information for every time it is
scanned, e.g.,

	shipping label prepared
	received at post office <location>
	received at regional post office <location>
	received at destination post office, Portland
	out for delivery
	delivered

But these days there are shipping methods involving both the USPS and a
private carrier like UPS, Fedex, etc. I don't understand how these
methods work, but if that is how it was shipped the tracking number
won't say much until the last three lines above.