[PLUG-TALK] USPS tracking codes: why?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu May 31 16:26:08 UTC 2018

On Thu, 31 May 2018, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I do it all the time. But the usefulness depends on the way it was
> shipped. If the shipper mailed it from a post office with tracking and
> e-mails the code to me then I can go to USPS.com and track the item.
> The USPS web site will give me information for every time it is
> scanned, e.g.,

John,

   I've tried that when looking at the 20-digit code on the receipt from the
PO when I've shipped something. Or, when the sender provides the code. So
far I've not seen anything other than 'in transit.'

> But these days there are shipping methods involving both the USPS and a
> private carrier like UPS, Fedex, etc. I don't understand how these methods
> work, but if that is how it was shipped the tracking number won't say much
> until the last three lines above.

   I've read that these joint ventures are apparently keeping the USPS alive.
My understanding is the logistics carrier (e.g., DHL or FedUp) picks up the
package and delivers it to the local PO for the 'final mile' delivery. In
this case I sometimes get a non-USPS tracking number and sometimes I don't.

   Despite my experiences I'm glad to learn that others have been able to
successfully track packages from stop to stop.

Thanks,