[PLUG-TALK] Camp Wildfire and Portland's gas and oil supply

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Nov 9 20:26:57 UTC 2018

The firelines for the "Camp" fire that destroyed Paradise,
California are approaching Chico from the east and south,
and have reached highway 99 further south.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1HacmM5E2ueL-FT2c6QMVzoAmE5M19GAf&hl=en&ll=39.706761682362554%2C-121.78262896035221&z=13

The Kinder Morgan Chico Terminal south of Chico is the hub
that moves natural gas and liquid fuel products from the
south and east to Portland and the northwest.  Those tanks
appear to be far from other flammables and are presumably
safe if fire engulfs southern Chico, but the terminal is
four miles from the firelines as I write this.

On the other hand, if one of the pressurized gas tanks
springs a leak, perhaps because maintenance workers can't
get there during a fire, the terminal might catch fire
and explode.  That could lead to motor and heating fuel
shortages in Portland this winter.  There are also lines
going east and north from Portland, but I don't know
whether fuel moves to or from Portland through them.

Perhaps the Powers That Be believe there is a smartphone
app that provides fuel.  Perhaps I worry too much.

Perhaps someone else on the list knows more about this.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com