[PLUG-TALK] Can RJ-11 telephone wires differ?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Oct 7 22:32:09 UTC 2018

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018, Tomas K wrote:

> Please try to describe the issue fully. Avoid or clearly separate theories
> and assumptions from real observations. Maybe also add how you phone looks
> like, what are you plugging it to - to wall line, fax machine or VOIP
> appliance.

Tomas,

   The wire with RJ-11 plugs on both ends that are for the business telephone
number works with the Panasonic unit. This is real observations. There are
no theories or assumptions about the new phone's handset not recognizing the
base unit.

   The same wire does not work with the new VTech unit; that is, the handset
reads "out of range."

   This is the same setup that has worked with different telephones over the
past 25 years. It is connected directly to the telco; not VoIP, no cable, no
nuttin' else.

   I'm letting the battery charge overnight by sitting in the powered base.
The communications line is connected to the old Panasonic so calls can be
received/made.

> That being said - I'd try to find a neighbor/friend with working landline
> and verify your phone there.

   There's nothing to verify. The phone is here. The line gets a dialtone
(with the Panasonic, not the VTech). I can call my cell phone (from the
Panasonic, not the VTech) and my cell phone can call the business number on
the Panasonic but not on the VTech.