[PLUG-TALK] Hardware tinkerers: HP printers ...

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Sep 4 22:29:00 UTC 2018

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> I am fond of HP2605dn color duplexing printers; sometimes they were on
> sale for less than the cost of a set of cartridges. They came with full
> cartridges, I checked. I stockpiled many printers, and recycled them when
> they acted up. I kept the paper trays, so I have special trays set aside
> for envelopes and A4 european paper.

Keith,

   Want to add my 2550C to your collection?

> Or that the cartridges aren't refillable or replaceable by trustrworthy
> knockoffs. Or that the capacity is low and the cost per print is high.

   There are abundant refilled cartridges being sold so someone know how to
make them work.

> A printer store owner recently told me that all the whizzy new printer
> features (wireless! facebook pages!) are more important than their three
> year service life and high cost of consumables. I don't go there anymore.

   Is that three years of infrequent use?

> Perhaps we can bypass the cartridge chips with printer firmware hacking.
> While we are at it, we can also hack the disturbing "yellow dot printer
> ID" function that makes printouts traceable by law enforcement. There may
> be laws against all of this, but laws are stored on computers now, so we
> can hack those, too. :-)

   Well, I can wrap the 2550C in plastic and find a corner to store it if
there would be a hardware clinic with available help.