[PLUG-TALK] Motherboard 'm2 installation'

Drew G. Wallace drewgwallace at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 15:32:56 UTC 2018

The manual on page one is showing how to install into the first M.2 slot,
remove some kind of cover (step 1). Then place the standoff at the
appropriate length for your m.2 drive, place in the drive and secure it
down with the tiny screw (step 2). Then place the cover back on.

The second page is for a secondary m.2 slot, same thing without the cover.

M.2 drives are a new format for adding solid state drives to your computer,
specifically those with NVMe are the modern consumer standard. They use
PCIe lanes instead of SATA for better memory and CPU access. Tottaly
optional, you can still use a spinning disk hard drive or 2.5" SSD with
SATA.

Any modern motherboard will likely support booting off NVMe but its good to
check the compatability as well as make sure it doesn't "share" PCIe lanes
with other I/O. For instance, one of my PCIe x8 card slots is disabled when
using M2_1 on one of my whitebox servers which limits my card options.