[PLUG-TALK] Hardware: remove old cpu cooler with set thermal paste

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Dec 1 10:43:38 PST 2019

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> The next Clinic will be December 15. As for the cooler, I might suggest
> running it with a live distro on an optical disc or USB stick.

John,

Good to know the clinic date.

I have knoppix on a USB flash drive. There's no monitor, keyboard, or other
paripheral and the system is on it's side with gravity (and the set thermal
paste) holding the fan from falling off.

But, I'll try your suggestion of sticking the USB flash drive in and see if
there's movement of the fan. I have a remote thermometer so I can tell when
the cooler reaches 40C or so. I had thought of using the Slackware distro
DVD but didn't know if it would work with the disk edge down. Forgot about
the knoppix.

Good idea.

Thanks,