[PLUG-TALK] External hard drive adapter

wes plug at the-wes.com
Wed Dec 25 00:37:01 PST 2019

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 8:47 PM Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Dec 2019, wes wrote:
>
> > What variety of drive(s) have you tried with it so far?
>
> Wes,
>
> model WD5001AALS

That is definitely the problem. A USB adapter by itself will only power a
2.5" drive. The 3.5" drives need more power than a USB port can put out*.
That little hole in the adapter is probably for a power supply, but without
info about the manufacturer or model number, it is unlikely we will find
any good info on what sort of supply it expects.

The best option I can think of is to buy a different USB adapter. Here is
one that I've had good experience with:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PP1ZPF1/

*I realize that the USB standard has begun incorporating higher power
outputs, however I have not yet found a SATA adapter which takes advantage
of any of these to supply a 12v source to a 3.5" drive. If anyone knows of
one, please let me know as I am currently in the market.

-wes