[PLUG-TALK] External hard drive adapter

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Dec 25 05:39:12 PST 2019

On Wed, 25 Dec 2019, wes wrote:

> That is definitely the problem. A USB adapter by itself will only power a
> 2.5" drive. The 3.5" drives need more power than a USB port can put out*.

Wes,

That makes sense.

> That little hole in the adapter is probably for a power supply, but without
> info about the manufacturer or model number, it is unlikely we will find
> any good info on what sort of supply it expects.

It does take a 3.5mm plug. Because that adapter came without a power supply
and any documentation it didn't occur to me that it was limited to 2.5"
drives.

> The best option I can think of is to buy a different USB adapter. Here is
> one that I've had good experience with:
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PP1ZPF1/

That looks like the one I bought when I first discovered the subject of this
thread didn't work. Mine has no brand name on the box or parts but the model
number is 891U3 and it accommodates USB 2/3, SATA 1, and IDE 2.5/3.5, and
something called OTB.

So this mystery adapter goes in the FG donation box.

Thanks for the knowledge.

Best regards,