[PLUG-TALK] Lenovo ThinkPad X200 disk drive question

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Thu Dec 26 20:11:51 PST 2019

On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 17:49:51 -0800
wes <plug at the-wes.com> dijo:

>I will attempt to constrain my consternation at this contamination of
>communication.

During a recent 1.5 hours spent on the telephone with Lenovo tech
support to obtain a cable to connect an SSD drive on my new Thinkpad
P73 I was dismayed to discover that, of the half a dozen employees who
I spoke to, none understood what I meant when I said 'hard drive.' I
repeat, these were employees in *tech support*.

I had better luck when I called it just a 'drive,' but even then I had
to explain that it was like a USB flash drive, but inside the computer.
And at that, most argued that such was impossible, because USB drives
can only be outside of the computer. And absolutely none of the
employees offering tech support on a Thinkpad had ever seen one with
the bottom cover removed.

From now on I will use the term 'drive' with no other modifiers.

PS, I failed completely at my goal of getting them to send me the
cable. Lenovo does not publish the diagrams and schematics, so I had no
part number. The employees had nothing to enter into their computers to
order what I needed. It was a frustrating, but educational experience.