[PLUG-TALK] Where to donate food

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Thu Feb 7 01:59:21 UTC 2019

>>>>> "John" == John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> writes:

John> Well, Vedanta Teacher's suggestion worked - it now resides with
John> the Sunshine Division (part of the Portland Police Bureau). It
John> wasn't easy, however. Unlike others they at least responded to my
John> e-mail and furnished me with their address. But when I went there
John> I couldn't find the place, mostly because the City of Portland
John> didn't think that road signs would be necessary in that
John> neighborhood. And when I finally found the place the front door
John> was locked and there was no place that said 'Donations Here.' So I
John> left the box on their front step and then called them to tell them
John> it was there. And they told me (I'm not making this up) 'we have
John> to keep the door locked because otherwise poor people come in.'
John> Really.

John> But in fairness, their collections are apparently all via barrels,
John> so having someone come to leave things at their location is not
John> their normal modus operandi.

My mom worked at the Sunshine Division for a few years. And my dad was a
Portland Police Reserve (volunteer auxiliary org) that helps out with
Sunshine Division. Their main annual activity was a christmas food box,
iirc. You can volunteer to help pack boxes. I did that for a few years
in my teens.  They had quite the assembly line.

--
Russell Senior
russell at personaltelco.net