[PLUG-TALK] Gag-choke-Windoze-virus-check-barf

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Mar 15 22:57:14 UTC 2019

After an /incredible/ amount of work, I got my wife's
quickbook files off her probably-infected windoze7
virtualbox instance ... and laid down the law, no more
windoze, no more quickbooks, no more $$$$$ for crappy
security and upgrade blackmail.

I managed to copy the quickbooks data files onto a
flashdrive, then copy the files off the flashdrive via
Linux to a fresh flashdrive.  That took TENS OF HOURS,
because of random crashes and unstoppable demands for
updates by "Microsoft" and "Intuit".  Allegedly.

I have no idea whether a quickbooks data file can carry
a virus payload.  If there is a zero-day exploit, only
computer criminals know for sure.  So, before we give
the data to our accountant, I hope to find a windoze
security expert who can carefully vet the data.  Extra
bonus points if they can convert it to openoffice or
excel spreadsheet format (without macros).

Who is fast and good at this?  Local is better, but I
can ssh the data to a windoze expert elsewhere.  How
do I vet the "expert", given that so many computer
"experts" are merely legends in their own minds,
or worse, bad guys masquerading as good guys?

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com