[PLUG-TALK] Why Multnomah County Library will stop buying e-books from Macmillan Publishers

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Nov 6 16:55:45 UTC 2019

On Wed, 6 Nov 2019, Tomas Kuchta wrote:

> I say, finally, the ebook licensing and pricing terms are
> unsustainable and byzantine. Here is independent piece about the
> current issue, not to mention their requirement to constantly
> repurchase their ebooks at pretty high prices and other nasties.
>
> https://slate.com/business/2019/09/e-book-library-publisher-buying-controve
> rsy-petition.html

The move from selling artistic content to licensing it has, in my
opinion, some very mixed results.

On the upside -- and I think there is one -- licensing allows people
to step into the broad, current flow of books, music, and video at
relatively low cost. A monthly subscription to a decent content
aggregator (Spotify, Kindle, Netflix, and many others) allows people
access to a much wider catalog of material than they'd enjoy if they
were forced to buy it all or wait for it to show up on the radio, at
the movie theatre, or in the local library.

The downside is that long-term ownership (or "licensing until the
original media is no longer usable") becomes harder and more subject
to the whims of publishers. Libraries obviously get the brunt of that,
but so do collectors of music or video. As it becomes harder to
purchase physical media, we become more beholden to publishers.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W