[PLUG-TALK] cat5e cable: solid or stranded?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Nov 13 11:02:45 PST 2019

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019, Galen Seitz wrote:

> Are you certain you want to build your own? Monoprice has inexpensive
> patch cables in nearly any color and length you could want.

Galen,

I've accumulated the tools over the years and want to make cables for
specific connections so I don't have a big coil of too-long cable in the
middle. For example, my router sits on top of the 16-port switch and I need
only a short patch cord between the two, 30cm would be sufficient.

> Anyway, the quick summary of Mel's Black Box link is that if it's going in
> a wall, you want solid, but if you're connecting from the wall or a
> switch/router to a computer, you want stranded.

Yes, that's the distinction. As I wrote, I had no idea that CAT cables came
with solid cores and the Black Box link taught me where they're best used.

Regards,