[PLUG-TALK] ISP abuse@ address rejects spam reports

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 10 12:58:41 UTC 2019

I believe that some list subscribers have worked at ISPs and others have
extensive experience running mail servers, so I hope to learn from you.

Too many ISPs who have an 'abuse' user e-mail address but reject spam
reports because they have attachments that prove their customer's computer
has been compromised. Shouldn't the abuse address accept all these reports
so they can prevent that IP address from sending more malware to the world?

Yes, the message often includes nasty attachments and not just phishing text
(like all the ones recently arriving in my inbox threatening sextorsion even
though 1) my monitor has no camera and 2) I've not visited any sex-oriented
web site, and 3) their writing and spelling is atrocious.)

Seems to me, perhaps wrongly, that all legitimate ISPs would want to prevent
spam and malware being sent from their customer's computers.