[PLUG-TALK] A Rare Universal Pattern in Human Languages

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sat Sep 7 00:31:52 PDT 2019

>>>>> "John" == John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> writes:

John> On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 15:21:23 -0700 Galen Seitz
John> <galens at seitzassoc.com> dijo:

>> Another one for John...
>>
>> "Some languages are spoken more quickly than others, but the rate of
>> information they get across is the same."
>> <https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/09/people-speak-faster-less-efficient-languages/597391/>

John> My first complaint is that there was no link to the journal
John> article that The Atlantic referenced, just one mention of François
John> Pellegrino as the lead author. [...]

This is super common, and there is no legitimate excuse these days. Hey
journalists, #YouAreInternettingWrong

I presume this journalistic sin is due to editors wanting to keep you on
their site as long as possible.  I pointed out a similar case on an OPB
story a week or so ago[1], the journalist replied on twitter saying they
were going to fix it. They didn't fix it. A week later, we still don't
know what thing was that formed the entire foundation for the story.

[1] https://twitter.com/rssenior/status/1167557551728148480

--
Russell Senior
russell at personaltelco.net