[PLUG-TALK] Fed Ex fail

Rigel Hope gnu at rigelhope.org
Sun Sep 22 14:53:46 PDT 2019

hi,

so i work as a grunt, in the freight business.

i don't know how balanced fedex is between package and freight.

usually, high season for freight is the summer. because it takes a while to
get all those heaters and road salt and tire chains out to the warehouses
they will be distributed from.

last winter, there was a period where i got about 5 shifts per month before
it picked up again.

things really started slowing down around november or so.

this year, things started slowing down around the beginning of august.

some folks i work with have been in the same job for 10 or more years. they
have never seen it slow down this early in the year.

i blame the current set of trade policies (in addition to widespread
corporate mismanagement), and agree with some of the writings ive seen that
suggest we are moving rapidly into a recession.

"moving shit around" is the lifeblood of commerce. there is at least one
major freight carrier back east that has gone bankrupt recently. the profit
margins at many others are quite small year-over-year, though there may be
accounting tricks involved there.

what im getting at is that it's not just you.