[PLUG-TALK] Zoom rolls own crypto and stores encryption keys in China

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Sat Apr 4 23:34:56 UTC 2020

On 4/4/20 8:51 AM, Aaron Burt wrote:
> On 2020-04-03 17:27, Tomas Kuchta wrote:
>
>> There is yet another reputable nail in this teleconferencing unicorn start up.
>> https://citizenlab.ca/2020/04/move-fast-roll-your-own-crypto-a-quick-look-at-the-confidentiality-of-zoom-meetings/
>>
>> This gift will keep giving - No wonder that some companies and many governments ban it.
>
> Going by history, I expect that incumbents like Webex and Go2Meeting
> have similar holes (and foreign entanglements) that are merely better
> hidden by their "enterprise-grade" user experience.
>
> Meantime, I set up a Jitsi instance to play with at
> https://jitsi.gubbin.com [1] if anyone wants to try it out.
>
> It was trivial to install - add DNS entry, apt install, run certbot.

Aaron, do you have a sense of the level resources needed for a single
conference?  My application would be for a social call of up to 15 users
for 1-3 hours.  What would something like this require in terms of
network bandwidth and cpu usage?  Could an entry level vm, like say this
standard Linode handle this?

Standard Linode
2 GB RAM	1 CPU Core	50 GB SSD	2 TB Transfer
40 Gbps Network In	2000 Mbps Network Out

Thanks for your insight.  I'm a newbie at both video conferencing and
cloud vm/containers, so I'm open to other suggestions too.

galen
--
Galen Seitz
galens at seitzassoc.com