[PLUG-TALK] Old languages never die ... they are sent to govenments

tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 05:00:31 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-04-13 at 14:31 -0700, Dick Steffens wrote:
>     On 4/13/20 2:05 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>

> > On
> >       Mon, 13 Apr 2020, Dick Steffens wrote:
> >

> > > Or, don't fix what ain't broke -- until it
> > >         breaks.
> > >

> >       Looking at this from IBM's side I'm surprised that years ago they
> >       didn't
> >

> >       sell New Joisey and other customers with ancient mainframes and
> >       out-of-date
> >

> >       software on new hardware and software for their critical
> >       applications. Would
> >

> >       have been better for both IBM and the customers and could have
> >       been done
> >

> >       while avoiding or patching the Y2K issues prevalent in COBOL code.
> >

> >       Of course, IBM has admitted that it was never at the technilogical
> >       bleeding edge
> >

> >       but sold customers on the company's presence on-site to fix
> >       things.
> >

>     I remember from my days at Prime Computer hearing, "Nobody ever got
>     fired for buying IBM." That's probably why.

I can only imagine how much is that maintenance contract worth for HW and SW
over the last 20-30-40 years. $$$$
I doubt the state saved anything by keeping this thing going - if anything -
maintaining it probably sucked their IT budget dry.
IBM looking for Cobol programmers probably means that this gift is to keep
giving.

just my 2c,
-T