[PLUG-TALK] RPI4B and power bank requirements

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 02:00:05 UTC 2020

For start - your current draw numbers are only average low activity
numbers. If you do not want your Pi crashing at random peak loads, I would
make sure that your power supply (battery bank) is capable of supplying the
recommended current 3A or close to it. Minimal 900mA limit assumption
probably guarantees unstable operation.

As about mAh - beside being able to drive the required current - the choice
of battery capacity (mAh) depends on how long would you like the battery to
last.

Example: average current draw 900mA will use 900mAh for every hour of
operation from your 10000mAh battery. Assuming that battery bank will not
let you discharge the last 10% of the battery - your Pi will stop operating
in 10 hours after drawing 10*900mAh.

I hope it makes sense.
Tomas