[PLUG-TALK] Alternative to Gmail?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Feb 14 23:18:21 UTC 2020

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020, Linh Pham wrote:

> On 2020-02-14 14:24 -0800, Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>>
>>> This is not my bank account we're talking about here, it's just a
>>> freaking e-mail account.
>>
>> I have no answer to your larger question. I run a VM at Digital Ocean to
>> manage my own e-mail; I'm odd like that.
>
> I'm glad that I'm not alone in doing that. The only thing I don't like
> is that they block 25/tcp over IPv6 due to spam concerns.

I didn't know that was the policy. I agree it's lamentable, but I
completely understand it. Identifying and blocking IPv4 addresses is a
hassle but easy enough to do and manage. The database will never grow
larger than 2^32 entries. Doing the same for IPv6 requires system
resources that are almost unimaginable.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com