[PLUG-TALK] On surveillience capitalism

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jan 15 00:40:13 UTC 2020

Just out of curiosity I checked current cookies in firefox here. Among those
of news web sites I recently visited I found these three: google.com,
google-pay.com, and news.google.com. How these ended up in the cookie jar is
a mystery because I've not visited those web pages. In fact, it's been
probably 15 years since I last looked at news.google.com.

Now I'll need to check current cookies frequently to throw out those looking
to scrape behavioral surplus from my use of the web that neither uses
Google's browser, search engine (unless duckduckgo does so), news, or
payment tools.

Perhaps I can write a cron script to throw them out when they appear.

Protecting my future can be more challenging than I thought it would be.