[PLUG-TALK] On surveillience capitalism

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Jan 15 07:04:26 PST 2020

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Just out of curiosity I checked current cookies in firefox here. Among those
> of news web sites I recently visited I found these three: google.com,
> google-pay.com, and news.google.com. How these ended up in the cookie jar is
> a mystery because I've not visited those web pages. In fact, it's been
> probably 15 years since I last looked at news.google.com.
>
> Now I'll need to check current cookies frequently to throw out those looking
> to scrape behavioral surplus from my use of the web that neither uses
> Google's browser, search engine (unless duckduckgo does so), news, or
> payment tools.

I'm probably overly fastidious in this regard, but I

* use Safari for daily browsing, clearing its cookies on a
   weekly basis, and never using it with a password tied to
   a financial obligation; (I do log into, e.g., news sites
   with Safari, but no important data are at stake),
* use incognito mode in Chrome for all e-commerce and banking work,
   shutting down and restarting the browser when going to a new site,
* use Firefox (set to delete cookies at the end of each session) only
   for SOCKS proxies to work.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com