[PLUG-TALK] UHD FreeSync choices

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Thu Jan 23 17:53:47 PST 2020

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 19:19:25 -0500
Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> dijo:

>Your 30 second pixelated experience is most likely VLC and not graphics
>card artefact.
>
>Try playing the same video with command line mplayer and report back.
>
>Usage:
>mplayer videoFile.mkv
>
>f - full screen mode
>arrows/PgUp/PgDwn - to move forward/back, holding shift with the keys
>increases the move/jump
>
>Hope it helps,
>Tomas

I used the term 'pixelated,' when I probably should have referred to it
as 'screen tearing,' which is what most people call it.

As for VLC, normally that is all I ever use, and I run it at almost full
screen, but not quite. On my old laptop there was screen tearing, but
none at all on my new laptop. On my desktop there is screen tearing.
It's the same version of VLC on the same OS (Xubuntu 18.04); the only
difference is the GPU and the resolution. Although the laptop is
pushing four times as many pixels as the desktop, it is using both the
Intel video and the vVidia chip with optimus. When it switches to
nVidia it uses G-Sync, paired to the Lenovo display.

Anyway, screen tearing is reported by a lot of people, mostly gamers,
and it seems pretty well documented that adaptive sync solves the
problem. And on the desktop where I get screen tearing I get it just
the same with mplayer or any other player. I don't think VLC has
anything to do with it. The GPU just doesn't have enough horsepower to
push pixels fast enough. I want the same beautiful display on my
desktop as on my laptop.