[PLUG-TALK] eBay and China

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 21:39:40 UTC 2020

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020, 14:01 Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 11:07:24PM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > These days I find countless listings that are listed as shipping from
> > the US, but as soon as I buy the item the listing changes saying that
> > it is shipping from China and it will be here sometime next year.
> >
> > This is not just annoying, it is fraud, but I haven't found any way to
> > stop it. At least it would be helpful if my eBay account was blocked
> > so that buying from outside the US was not possible, but you can't do
> > that either.
>
> Same thing happens to me - I order "A", then they change the
> item version to "Z" and ship it from China.  The tracking
> number for one recent item led to a delivery in New York.
> We'll see if the item ever arrives.  I assume the vendor is
> "exploiting the float", taking my money now to purchase items
> already promised to others, laddering exponentially until
> they have enough money to abscond with.
>
> In a just world, if the seller can switch items and sources
> and delivery times, we should be able to switch payment
> currencies.  $9?  O.K., here's 9 Zimbabwean dollars, worth
> 2.5 cents U.S.

Hey - Do not talk badly about Zimbabwe.

Seriously - It is the only other country with imperial measuring system.

Without Zimbabwe, this relic would get no sympathy at all.

As about eBay, yes it sucks because they do not effectively police it.
Probably, because they do not need to.

They setup the rules such that they always get their fees, fraud or not -
damn the customer satisfaction. Then again, I found Amazon is full of
fraudsters misrepresenting stuff these days too.

It is hard to police your large business when you keep eyes on the ball -
and the ball is no longer "obsession with customer" or "do no evil" or
whatever the success foundation it was back in the good early days.

-T