[PLUG-TALK] Covid-19 mortality rates

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Wed Mar 11 21:41:19 UTC 2020

On 3/11/20 2:13 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> The apparent panic about the coronavirus, covid-19, made me curious about
> its mortality rate. Turns out to be very low:
> <ttps://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/?ref=hvper.com>
>
> I find it sad that this now-official pandemic is consuming the on-line news
> web sites with little or no effort to explain the danger without hype or
> promotion of fear and loathing.

Given that the covid-19 mortality rate is thought to be 5x or more that
of seasonal flu, and that seasonal flu kills ~46000 each year, I think
the concern is warranted, particularly among the parts of the population
that are at increased risk.  I'll also note that in order to keep the
mortality rate low, we need to prevent a spike in cases that would
overwhelm our medical system.

<https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/dont-panic-the-comprehensive-ars-technica-guide-to-the-coronavirus/2/#h1>

galen
--