[PLUG-TALK] Covid-19 mortality rates

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 21:29:23 UTC 2020

The lack of testing explains why are mortality rates so high in some places
compared to others with little or no testing constraints.

The places with most people tested are probably South Korea and Singapore.
They both have also excellent and public health care - so they can provide
better/more care to larger population. So, they are probably examples of
lowest and accurate mortality levels achievable.

OTOH you have extremes such as US where the mortality rate is crazy high
because of lack of testing. Given that the dead are probably reported
accurately here, you can use the dead people count as proxy for infection
rate about 10 days ago. 40 dead is about 12k infected 10 days ago; or about
30+k today.

Once you have big enough tested or dead sample - the margin of error goes
down.

Just back of the envelope ... math