[PLUG-TALK] Drug price kvetch

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Oct 1 16:25:53 UTC 2020

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Oct 2020, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>
>> It's broken in many ways, including the Medicare Modernization Act's
>> "noninterference" clause that forbidd administrators at HHS from
>> negotiating Medicare drug prices. This is somewhat odd, because VA and
>> Medicaid admins can negotiate prices.
>
> Consider the times, Paul. Perhaps AARP needs to be involved? :-)

When it comes to lobbying,

   Pharma > AARP

I thought that the Trump administration might take seriously his
campaign pledge to work to lower drug prices. I'm not sure how the
President, who is rarely reluctant to use his bully pulpit, lost the
impetus on this issue, esp. given the obvious political benefits for
the senior vote.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com