[PLUG-TALK] Random kvetch - FedEx

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Thu Oct 22 23:03:24 UTC 2020

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 14:56:59 -0700
Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> dijo:

>Ordering a lot online lately.  Most carriers (USPS,
>UPS, DHL, OnTrac) are good.
>
>Local FedEx (short for "FED-up with EX-cuses") delivery
>has been awful.  I ordered some furnace filters (in a
>bulky box);  they left Alabama on the 8th and arrived
>in Troutdale OR on the 12th.  They were delivered today,
>October 22, after three supposed delivery attempts:

I have had similar horrible service from FedEx. I bought a component on
eBay from a seller in Florida. It took them ten days to get it to
Portland, and then seven more days before they finally delivered it.

Their closest drop-off location for me is a nearby Walgreens where,
after having to put up with me several times the employee in charge of
FedEx made me a printout titled How to Talk to a Live Person in FedEx
Customer Service:

"If you need to talk to alive person at FedEx customer service you need
to dial 800-463-3339 phone number. First you need to say "give me
options," after that say "more options" or press 7 at the first prompt,
say "even more options" or press 7 at the second and say "it's something
else" or press 8 at the third. After that you need to stay on the line
and the automated phone system will connect you to a live customer
service agent from FedEx."

I have also used a mail service to receive mail for about 20 years, and
the fellow in charge told me that FedEx took a huge hit from Amazon
when Amazon went to using their own trucks and, as a result, they have a
huge backlog. I considered his opinion, but then I decided to check on
FedEx stock, expecting it to be dropping. I was surprised to see that
it is currently selling at an all time high, nearly three times its
price of just a couple years ago. That tells me a different story. It is
common practice when big companies are in trouble for the board to fire
the current CEO and hire a new one to turn things around. This is
followed by the new CEO slashing costs to increase profits, thus
driving up the stock price. Of course, slashing profits means cutting
services, which means that eventually the company will lose customers.
But American big businesses are always run for the short term, with no
thought to long term goals. In sum, you can expect that FedEx
performance will never improve, and five or ten years from now they
will be facing a merger with UPS or DHL.

Nowadays I insist that sellers use anything but FedEx. If they insist
on FedEx I don't buy.