[PLUG-TALK] electronic air filters

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Sep 17 21:36:07 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 07:31:06PM -0700, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> My understanding is that information is accurate.  My question relates to
> the relative air filtering capability of electronic compared to membrane
> filters.

It is no surprise that this HEPA filter maker has a chart
showing HEPA filters outperform electrostatic filters:

https://alen.com/pages/hepa-air-purifiers-are-more-effective-than-electrostatic-air-purifiers

My guess is that a cleanable electrostatic filter IN FRONT
OF a HEPA filter helps the HEPA filter last longer,
reducing revenue for HEPA filter manufacturers.

I also assume that an electrostatic filter is easier to
pump air through, prolonging fan motor life and reducing
electric power costs.  I also assume that an electrostatic
filter makes ozone, and that its high voltage supply can
fail and perhaps catch fire.

That's life; nobody gets off the mudball alive.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com