[PLUG-TALK] Web developer to help small family farm

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat Sep 19 23:53:50 UTC 2020

On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 14:43:49 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Sat, 19 Sep 2020, Galen Seitz wrote:
>
>> Didn't you mean to say "a pro porcus basis"?
>> Now watch John come and correct my Latin.

Latin 'pro' is a preposition, meaning similar to English 'for.' Like all
Latin prepositions it requires its noun complement to be in a
particular case, and 'pro' takes the ablative case. Therefore, the
correct expression would be 'pro porcō,' where the final -o was long
(just hold the o twice as long as you normally would). Except for the
long final o, Julius Caesar would have pronounced it the same as a
present day Spanish speaker. (Spanish lost the long-short vowel
contrast.)

>galen,
>
>Well, it would be for the hogs. If you want to see the "girls" take a
>look at www.sugarmapleswine.com. Brenda has a nice little operation
>there.

English 'hog' is an interesting word. There are a whole bunch of
similar monosyllabic animal terms that end in -g - pig, dog, stag,
etc., and the origins of all of them are unsure. Scholars figure that
they must belonged to their own class of nouns, but what the parameters
were is unknown.