[PLUG-TALK] Outdoor video cameras?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Tue Sep 22 23:46:40 UTC 2020

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 12:55:33 -0700
Galen Seitz <galens at seitzassoc.com> dijo:

>Chuck Hast has a lot of experience with IP cameras, and he uses
>ZoneMinder for recording.  I'm not sure if he is subscribed to the
>talk list.  If he doesn't respond here, ask on the main list.
>
>I asked a similar question back in July.  I had different constraints,
>but it might be worth reviewing what people said.
><http://lists.pdxlinux.org/pipermail/plug/2020-July/095573.html>

I read the discussion in your link, but it didn't really address what I
need. Basically, security cameras seem to be mostly battery operated and
wifi enabled, plus typically an SD card and/or cloud connection.

Mine will be located about 4 meters above the ground, so retrieving an
SD card will be a pain. Ditto for replacing/recharging batteries. If it
uploads to the cloud, that does not appeal to me. For a security
camera, uploading my videos to the cloud doesn't sound secure at all.
And some will connect to your phone, but my phone doesn't really have
that capability.

What I really want is a wifi enabled camera that my computer can connect
to *and continuously save the video to my hard drive.* Then I can view
it at my leisure. None of the cameras I have found online offer
anything like that, although I did find wifi cameras that connect to a
computer. But I don't know how I can get the connection to save the
video to the computer's hard drive. I don't want to have to climb up on
a ladder every day to retrieve an SD card.