[PLUG-TALK] redact document without rasterizing the whole dang thing?

Brian Scrivner captainplanet at hevanet.com
Wed Sep 23 23:10:46 UTC 2020

In the process of health troubleshooting, I end up saving a lot of test
documents which contain sensitive info such as my DOB and home addr.

What I've ended up doing, for lack of finding a better option, has been
to block out the info in Okular then Print to PDF with the option to
force rasterization. A side effect of this is that the new file has
twice or more the data size. Another consequence is that the text
becomes an image, so copy/paste or text search will not work on it.

Apparently I could buy the Pro version of PDF Studio for $89, that has
redaction features which (if I understand the site correctly) doesn't
alter the file except where info has been redacted. Maybe there's a
cheaper, preferably free, means of doing this? Something that removes
the data, rather than covering it?

  <:Brian:>