[PLUG-TALK] Drug price kvetch

tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 00:33:37 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 16:18 -0700, wes wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 2:18 PM Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.co
> m>
> wrote:
>
> > I have often wondered if the stated cost is deliberatly inflated so
> > the
> > insurer can use those for tax or investor purposes. I've wondered
> > why the
> > actual cost to the end consumer isn't presented without the
> > manufacturer's
> > suggested retail price and all the discounts the insurer generously
> > provides.
> >

> I think these are likely part of the motivation for the scheme, but I
> think
> they have better ways to dodge taxes and persuade investors. To me,
> the
> bigger reason is that obfuscating the truth makes it easier to
> convince the
> general public to accept it. They make it look a lot more complicated
> than
> it is so that people like you and I just throw up our hands and
> accept
> there is nothing we can do about it. They've carefully managed the
> regulations on their own industry through lobbying and payoffs to
> ensure
> they maintain their exclusive positions as the highest-profit-margin
> business on the planet, while making it nearly impossible for any new
> competitors to enter the market.

Make your own conclusion about the most appropriate wording - I would
not pass any politeness test, if I even try to describe this problem.

Pick whatever market transparency definition/article you want to get
upset with in connection with ..... (chose:
healthcare/internet/movies/TV/licensing/sugar/insurances/....)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparency_(market)
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/transparency.asp
https://www.cgdev.org/publication/can-transparency-lower-prices-and-imp
rove-access-pharmaceuticals-it-depends

Despite the political rhetoric for voters - this is not left/right
issue in this country. As with free (as in beer) internet
search/email/SW/... - Ask yourself who is the customer/product in
respect of legislation/policy/taxes and election around here.

It will be immediately obvious what the problem is and where to fix it.

just my 2 thinly veiled cents,
-T