[PLUG-TALK] Static IP address geolocation

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Apr 1 21:37:11 UTC 2021

My static IP address (50.126.108.78) terminates here in Troutdale, OR and
was issued by ZiplyFiber (nee Verizon -> Frontier). The geolocation
associate with that IP address shows up on websites and whatismyip.com as
either Tigard, OR or Hillsboro, OR.

I just spent over an hour on the phone with people at ZiplyFiber. The
business technical support person told me they don't issue static IP
addresses so they cannot correct the geolocation and retuned me back to
businss support ... who told me they don't do anything with IP addresses or
their geolocation so I need to speak with busines tech support. After a
half-hour on hold I hung up. Then I got a call back that told me no one
there knows how/who associates geolocations to IP addresses. They don't have
any relationship to the account billing locations. So much for customer
support.

There must be someone in that huge telco who knows how to access their IP
address database and can reassign my static IP address to its actual
geolocation. If you have suggestions on how I continue to resolve this
mis-location please tell me about them.

TIA,