[PLUG-TALK] Static IP address geolocation

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Apr 2 23:34:06 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2 Apr 2021, wes wrote:

> yes, someone must. geolocation services assemble data from a variety of
> sources which amount to a rough approximation of a guess. ...

Wes,

Is there a way for me to identify these services and let them all know where
I am? After all, I've been in the same location for 28 years now and intend
to stay in the same place.

> I notice that in doing a traceroute to 50.126.108.78, the last hop before
> reaching you has this hostname: ae0---0.car01.tgrd.or.nwestnet.net. I
> would not be surprised if this changed periodically to a name referencing
> hillsboro instead.

Interesting. Yesterday I was checking stock at both Lowe's and Home Depot
and both showed me what was available in their Hillsboro store(s). Only a
few days ago a different web site showed me inventory at their Tigard store.

It's a PITA. There should be a way to have the correct information used.

Thanks for the insights,