[PLUG-TALK] Static IP address geolocation

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sat Apr 3 10:35:47 UTC 2021

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich> Feh! I don't use any one vendor frequently enough to want to save
Rich> cookies.  So, I will just accept their incorrect geolocation
Rich> (wondering how everyone got it so wrong) and put up with the
Rich> nonsense when it occurs.

There is an amusing story about how swat teams and warrant servers keep
showing up at some farm in the middle of nowhere Kansas or something,
because that's the geographic center of the contiguous US, and because
that's the default location for IP addresses that don't have a more
specific geolocation.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/09/maxmind-mapping-lawsuit-kansas-farm-ip-address

Geolocating IPs is something for which people find 70% accuracy
perfectly acceptable, because it is better (for them) than
<70%. Personally (echoing Tomas) I consider some geographical ambiguity
a nice feature. Of course, I want to switch everyone to UTC and do away
with timezone proliferation. Your mileage may vary, but your influence
on ip geolocation practices is very weak.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net