[PLUG-TALK] Chromebook as laptop replacement [RESOLVED]

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sat Apr 17 06:49:05 UTC 2021

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich> On Fri, 16 Apr 2021, Rich Shepard wrote:
>> I'm sure some folks here have experience with various flavors of
>> chromebooks and I'd appreciate recommendations for a laptop
>> replacemen.

Rich> As they say in Brooklyn, fuggetaboutit. I checked user reviews on
Rich> Amazon and ordered a Samsung 14" model.

General info, not specifically for Rich:

One thing I didn't like about chromebooks, once upon a time, was no
local printing. You needed to send all your print jobs through google,
to a registered local-but-also-connected-to-google printer. I don't know
if that's still the case. It made me not want to print anything.

I ended up putting GalliumOS on two chromebooks we have, which gives you
a real linux experience on chromebook hardware, albeit with pretty
limited local storage (but enough for their intended purpose) and a
slightly strange (but learnable) keyboard. Chromebooks are not
universally supported by GalliumOS, so check support if you are
interested in going that route.

--
Russell Senior
russell at personaltelco.net