[PLUG-TALK] There is no cloud

TomasK tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 10:57:57 PST 2021

On Tue, 2021-02-09 at 10:16 -0800, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> I saw nice quote in a discussion thread this morning:
>
>    There is no cloud, just someone else's computer.
>
> At one level, it's a fairly obvious statement. At a more unexamined
> level, it has the benefit of raising questions like
>
> * What happens if my 'cloud' provider goes bankrupt?
> * Who gets ownership of my data at that provider?
> * Who guarantees that my data is destroyed (or protected) correctly?
> * What legal protections do I have if that new owner leaks my data?
>
> After all, it just lives on someone else's computer, aka a normal
> business asset.
>
> I'm sure different companies make different guarantees, but in the
> end
> closing or bankrupting a business is up to its owner, not you.

This in my view is double accounting problem - you care to look only at
one side (cost) of the ledger. Try adding the opportunity costs to the
other side and see how it balances out.

There is huge opportunity costs/looses stemming from stuck enterprise
IT departments, putting serious break on innovation and flexibility.

That itself is massive cost to doing business, putting aside the
advantages of pay for what you use today only model. Even in the best
of enterprises, I have seen - people are stuck with 6-10 years old not
properly patched linux OS, paying for crazy expensive beyond EOL
support, holding back SW and computing HW upgrades for years ......
storage in the wrong places or lack of it, project storage/CPUs hoarded
unused for half the project, networking issues, mountains of not
transferable/obsolete skills mandated by IT, etc.

This kind of drag does not exist in today's cloud. So, many companies
do not have a choice - either die by your own IT incumbents or move to
the cloud to avoid it. Kind of like Sen. R. Shelby holding Nasa back
for decades, if you follow space.

Just my 2c observation,
Tomas