[PLUG-TALK] Motherboard fan connectors

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jan 1 19:21:50 UTC 2021

Happy New Year all!

The Asus Prime X470-Pro motherboard has 7 fan connectors: CPU, CPU optional,
chassis fan connectors; water pump+, and AIO pump connector (4-pin CPU_FAN,
4-pin CPU_OPT, 4-pin CHA_FAN1-3, 4-pin W_PUMP+, 4-pin AIO_PUMP).

The descriptions are clear but I don't know for what the CPU_OPT socket is
used, nor whether any of the water/AIO sockets can be used for fans.

The chassis I'm populating has one rear-panel exhaust fan and I'm adding one
to the top and another to the front (both PWM). I assume those are connected
to CHA_FAN1-3, respectively.

The CPU cooler (Noctua NH-D15) has 2 fans. I assume one plugs into CPU_FAN
and the other into CPU_OPT.

Just out of curiosity, could the W_PUMP+ and AIO_PUMP power PWM fans, too?

TIA,