[PLUG-TALK] Terminator vs. Trump

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 22:22:13 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021, 12:41 James Bertelson <James at bertelson.me> wrote:

> How about we don’t paint with such a broad brush as to infer that trumps
> supporters are equivalent to nazis who need to apologize for their sins for
> a start towards reconciliation? POTUS elect isn’t helping either by
> comparing sitting senators to Goebbels.
>
> Let’s talk to each other and bridge the gap that divides us. Otherizing
> and other such psychological tricks only serve to further deepen the wound.
>
> .

I am from Europe, well travelled and humanist (anything else does not
really matter in this post), so my world view is wider than average.

How about we start by carefully listen to gov Schwarzenegger has actually
said and its intended merit.

One of the crucial points he makes is that the current events are fed by
lies.

So, I would like to point out that he was not comparing anyone to Goebbels.
He also does not compare anyone to nazis. He draws analogies, warns us of
consequences of ignoring the lies, threats and violence and normalizing it.

Though, it is not clear what you try to say by the Goebbels reference.

In my opinion, it is worth to listen to him and other "real" leaders who do
not lie or threaten others - their messages carry a lot of wisdom.

If we all really care about this country, I feel, that we should put aside
this common exceptionalism - that all is well and within bounds of
normality.

You all noticed - there are armed militias openly roaming streets,
threatening people and their elected representatives. Other elected
representatives are enabling these thugs access to legislative buildings.
The country is rounding up immigrants; Disputing everything; Constant lies;
Hight principles; Confederate flags. ...

The way I see it - current situation is not that far from nazi european
experience of 1930's or what was going on in the Balkans in 1990, ....

It is beyond just ugly.
I'd rather err on side of caution than see repeat of any bloody carnage.  I
guarantee you humanity is capable of despicable things, everywhere.

Tomas