[PLUG-TALK] Western Digital drive recycling

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat Jan 23 02:55:43 UTC 2021

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 18:05:41 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> dijo:

>On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 17:42:37 -0800
>John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> dijo:
>
>>If it's recreating the RAID0 array on two 16TB drives it my take a
>>while. Not sure what to do. I think I'll just let it sit there and see
>>qué pasa. In the Synology web page I can go to Control Panel >
>>Storage, where the two drives are listed as being 14.902GB, but above
>>the drives it says Volume 1: 794.9MB / 14.4TB.
>
>I just figured out what is going on. It formatted both drives ext4, and
>then set them up as mirrors (RAID1), instead of RAID0 that I wanted,
>and labeled it Volume 1. Right now it is 'optimizing filesystem.' And
>along the way it decided that I wanted folders that it labeled,
>'music,' 'photos,' videos,' and so on. It won't let me delete Volume 1
>unless I remove some of the folders first. I may need to nuke the
>whole thing and start over with a Synology that is factory-blank.
>
>I realize that RAID1 is probably the default, but it annoys me that it
>never asked if that was what I wanted.

If you go into Control Panel > Update and Restore > Reset you can wipe
out everything and start over. Half an hour later it said it was done,
and guess what? It recreated a RAID1 array, right back to where I
started.

I has to be possible to create a RAID0 array, because that's how my two
old drives were set up. But I'll be damned if I can find the secret key
to make it happen now.