[PLUG-TALK] For Portland natives

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Mon Jul 12 00:22:25 UTC 2021

On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 15:23:53 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>I'm curious why businesses southwest of Portland frequently have
>Portland as their city. There's a company in Tigard with a Portland
>address and I've seen others in Milwaukie and similar cities with
>Portland addresses.

Maps used by the post office do not always conform to maps drawn by
political entities. For example, the zip code 97223 covers areas that
are within the city limits of Tigard as well as areas within the
boundaries of Portland.

And did you know that zip codes were generally assigned to postal
substations according to an alphabetical list of the names of the
substations? I.e., 97212 was assigned to the Irvington substation,
because 'Irvington' was number 12 on the list.