[PLUG-TALK] For Portland natives

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Jul 12 15:52:32 UTC 2021

On Sun, 11 Jul 2021, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 15:23:53 -0700 (PDT)
> Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:
>
>> I'm curious why businesses southwest of Portland frequently have
>> Portland as their city. There's a company in Tigard with a Portland
>> address and I've seen others in Milwaukie and similar cities with
>> Portland addresses.
>
> Maps used by the post office do not always conform to maps drawn by
> political entities.

The greater St. Louis, MO area has, for its size, a very large number
of suburbs. I lived in two of them, Clayton and Maplewood, in the late
80s. The official request from the postal service was that we use "St
Louis MO XXXXX" as our address. In other words, we were specifically
asked not to use the name of our municipality but "St Louis" plus our
local ZIP code.

I've never seen such a request for Portland, but to find certain
postal subdistricts have that policy wouldn't surprise me.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45.38° N, 122.59° W