[PLUG-TALK] For Portland natives

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jul 12 21:24:14 UTC 2021

On Mon, 12 Jul 2021, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> Gets even more interesting if you look at the original land plats
> registered in territory capital Oregon City in the mid 1800's. 320 acre
> tracts of land for $2/acre, some registered before the 1851 designation of
> the "Willamette Meridian", so they didn't quite line up. Then railroads
> divided things differently, and most towns and cities grew around rail
> stations.

And Portland's Division Street is the survey boundary line for the
Willamette Meridian.

> Beaverton's rail station was named after the beaver ponds in the nearby
> swamp. There were still a few beaver lodges in the swamp nearby when I was
> a toddler.

Strangely enough, Troudale was named for a large trout farm at the mouth of
the Sandy River. It could have been named Eulaconville or Smeltdale for the
huge runs of smelt (eulachon) that were collected by dip nets by the ton not
that long ago. (If San Francisco bay anadroumous smelt they could have named
the sports arena Candlefish Park.)