[PLUG-TALK] Plug talk please Re: [PLUG] Block-list, Pass--list

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Jul 23 00:10:15 UTC 2021

Plug-Talk list for "why" (virtue) discussions please.

Plug list for "how".

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 05:28:27PM -0400, james at bertelson.me wrote:
> The etymology of the terms white and black list have absolutely
> nothing to do with today's hyperracialized politics.
>
> James
>
> On 2021-07-22 16:55, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> >This might be a "plug-talk" subject, ...

Top posting is a bug.

Regards etymology ... language serves living human beings,
not vice versa.  The old terms are understandable, but not
optimal for the NEW conversations we need to have.

Eric S. Raymond teaches us that "with enough eyes, all bugs
are shallow".

I HATE bugs, and I hope to invite ALL eyes in ALL the world
to help us eradicate them.  The old eyes didn't catch them,
especially those focused on an allegedly more-perfect past.
We need MORE eyes.  We need NEW eyes.  We especially need
outsider help with wildly differing viewpoints, and should
roll out the red carpet for them.

Or should I call that the indigenous peoples carpet? :-)

Let's stick to welcome mats, and a welcoming attitude.

Keith

P.S.  I hope /I/ am not virtue signalling.  I prefer to be
considered a greedy skinflint talent hunter.  If saying
pretty words attracts more global brain power to our open
source / free software cause, I'm all for that.

P.P.S.  Gotta go.  Wife stung by yellowjackets.  Off to buy
a dozen traps and a zapper.  Debugging with a vengeance.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com