[PLUG-TALK] Android filesystem / permissions / ownership

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat Jun 5 03:15:47 UTC 2021

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 22:30:50 -0400
Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> dijo:

>So, it seems to be working. Except for the file names.
>
>I do not think I can be of any further help to you remotely, beside
>this advice: spaces in the file names are not a good idea.
>
>That is most likely your problem + some fat file naming rules.

It can't be the file names and/or the spaces in them.

1) exFAT is the latest incarnation of FAT32, and FAT32 could handle
spaces in filenames.

2) Samsung (and all the rest) would have customers screaming at them if
they sold a phone that couldn't handle filenames with spaces.

3) My phone already has files with spaces in the filenames. It came
that way.

4) *All* of my MP3 files have spaces in the filenames - ALL of them -
and 35 of them copied just fine.

5) It also can't be permissions or ownership because exFAT doesn't do
those things, same as FAT and FAT32.

I read that Android is supposed to work with ext3 and ext4, but when my
drive was formatted ext4 it couldn't read it.

Linux can read/write exFAT only since kernel 5.4, and that is where I
am. There is possibly a bug that hasn't been caught yet. But I also had
this problem when the drive was NTFS, and Linux support for that has
been around for longer.

At this point I think the answer lies in figuring out why 35 of 209 of
my MP3s copied fine and the remainder did not. But that should wait for
tomorrow when my brain is working better.