[PLUG-TALK] Android filesystem / permissions / ownership

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat Jun 5 17:31:51 UTC 2021

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 20:26:32 -0700
Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> dijo:

>maybe copy one of the files that did not copy from the command line
>and see if you get any illuminating messages.

That solved the problem - I now know what is wrong - although it will
take some time to finish this project.

In the laptop's MP3s folder (ext4) I have two symphonies by Alfano:
	Alfano - Symphony #1 "Classica".mp3
	Alfano - Symphony #2.mp3

Both are in the laptop's MP3 folder listed exactly as above (an ext4
drive). At the command line, while in the laptop's MP3s folder, I typed
'ls Alfano*' and the command returned both files. But if I change ls to
cp and add the destination I get
	cp Alfano* /media/jjj/6786-F34C/MP3s/
	cp: cannot create regular file
	'/media/jjj/6786-F34C/MP3s/Alfano - Symphony #1
	"Classica".mp3': Invalid argument

But the command did copy Symphony #2 to the USB MP3s folder. So, acting
on a guess, I deleted the double quotes from "Classica" and tried the
cp command again, and the command worked!

My guess is that the ext4 filesystem can handle double quotes in
a filename, but the exFAT filesystem can't. (Thank you, Microsoft.) I
decided to try rename the file with a single quote, and the command
still worked.

I have about 1300 MP3s in all, and maybe a third of them have a pair of
double quotes in the filename. That's a lot of work to rename all those
files. I wonder if a mv command could be crafted to rename all files
containing a double quote and replace just the double quotes with
single quotes. Such a command is way beyond my pay grade, but maybe
someone here can suggest how to do it. Otherwise I'll have to go
through the files and change them all manually.

(For the record, I ripped and encoded all of my MP3s from the CDs,
which I own, and are stored in a big box in the basement. I used
cdparanoia and lame to do this, back in about 2005 on Ubuntu Breezy
Badger, and I have been listening to them ever since.)

Maybe I have more related problems, though. Here is an example:
	Älven - Från fjällen till havet, symphonic poem.mp3
My MP3s are almost all classical, where there often exist diacritics
and characters not found on an English keyboard. To type these I have
long used the Compose feature - e.g., for Ä I type Windows key, o,
Shift-A. These also permeate my list of MP3s, So I tried to copy the
above file, and it worked fine. I hope all my non-English character
will work on exFAT.