[PLUG-TALK] PIA-daemon

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Jun 26 12:33:02 UTC 2021

On Fri, 25 Jun 2021, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I had to kill it from the command line because it required root. But
> apparently even root can't get rid of it. Does anyone have any suggestions
> for how to make it disappear?

John,

It's an application that had to be installed. A quickie web search shows it
can be downloaded for Chrome from google's app store.

When you kill the running process the installed application spawns another
one. You need to remove the spawner.

Not knowing how you installed it I'll suggest two things to try:

1. locate pia Locate is updated daily. You might have slocate installed.
Locate is, I believe, based on the whereis command. From man whereis,
"whereis - locate the binary, source, and manual page files for a command".
Both locate and whereis can be run as a user, at least on Slackware.

2. find / -name pia
Run find as root to start the search at the root directory (/) and it will
show you where all instances of pia are to be found. Most likely in
/usr/local/bin/, perhaps in /usr/bin.

Once you know where all instances of pia are located, including pia-daemon,
you can, as root, remove them.

Have fun,